The ZF Mgcawu District Municipality has a fully functional Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Unit which serves as the heart of the organization as it caters to all Departments of the District Municipality regarding ICT services and it also provides the support needed by the Employees and Councillors.
The Information Technology (IT) Unit is responsible for the architecture, hardware, software, and networking of computers in the District Municipality and IT ensures that all employees have full access to the computer systems used by the District Municipality.
Functions of the Information & Communication Technology Unit:
- Planning, design, procurement, implementation, management and maintenance of municipal information and communication technology network infrastructure
- Configuration, procurement, implementation, management and maintenance of municipal application servers, file servers and print servers
- Procurement of ICT equipment and software on behalf of all directorates
- Installation and repair of all IT equipment
- Planning, design, development of daily, weekly, monthly back end processing procedures including maintenance and systems back up of all servers
- Maintaining and monitoring of access to municipal IT facilities and enforcing adherence to Council policies related to IT.
The priorities of the Unit include but are not limited to IT Risk Management, ICT security management, safeguarding of IT assets, disaster recovery and continuity of operations as well as rendering support to Local Municipalities.